ART LIBERTY
           Galleries & Community for creative and Independent authors

Guest| Group "Guests"| My profile | Registration Welcome Guest    

News | EventsGallery | Video | Music | Articles | Tutorials | Forum | Links | FAQ | Info | Job's       Members | Join | Submit

[ Main · New messages  · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: frouzy  
Forum » Art Discussion » Video & Animation & Cinema » rigging a neck quickly and cleanly
rigging a neck quickly and cleanly
Thunder Date: Wednesday, 04.02.2009, 20:09 | Message # 1
Independent Artist
I need to rig the neck of my character, but i'm at a loss as to how to do it and do it quickly.

I'm using maya.

My two ideas so far are a controller object with set driven keys that rotate the neck joints... But that's very confusing, complicated, and takes forever.

The other idea is to directly control the joints in an FK manner, with control curves for each moving joint. This is viable, but the tangle of controllers isn't ideal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maximus Date: Wednesday, 04.02.2009, 20:14 | Message # 2
Independent Artist
if you're familiar with a ribbon spine setup, those are pretty good for necks as well, especially if you need a very flexible stretchy neck

aaron holly's dvd has a great demonstration of the ribbon setup, and i'm sure there's a bazillion threads here on how to put together a similar setup

TETRAGRAMMATON Date: Wednesday, 04.02.2009, 20:20 | Message # 3
Independent Artist
Hey there, let me start off by saying I would try to avoid using Set driven keys as they be broken if an animator choses to "Delete Channels" Anyways, the way I always do knecks that will also allow for stretch, squash setup is to place a locator at the kneck joint, bind the control curve to the locator, bind the locator to the joint, and bind and oirent constrain the joint to the curve, then if u want squash/stretch add second locator and use distance between node. Use an offset group for the controller so that it has zero values and is oriented properly, as well as having keyable attributes.

Forum » Art Discussion » Video & Animation & Cinema » rigging a neck quickly and cleanly
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Hosted by uCoz