ART LIBERTY
           Galleries & Community for creative and Independent authors

Guest| Group "Guests"| My profile | Registration Welcome Guest    

News | EventsGallery | Video | Music | Articles | Tutorials | Forum | Links | FAQ | Info | Job's       Members | Join | Submit

[ Main · New messages  · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: frouzy  
Forum » Art Discussion » Photography » First DSLR - Burned out on research! Lots of info..
First DSLR - Burned out on research! Lots of info..
ssnxp Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 19:38 | Message # 1

Hey guys, like the title says, I'm almost burnt out on reading reviews, scoping out MANY forums, and watching countless videos. I've also been to a few stores and played with many cameras over the past few days.

I originally narrowed my decision down to 2 specific cameras:

Canon Rebel XSI
Nikon D5000

I was originally looking at the D90 and the T1i also, but I think they're a little out of my range. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you could help answer!

1. Internal Focus Motor: From what I've read, it seems that the XSI has one and the D5000 does not. Most people say that this is not a deal breaker for the D5000, as most of Nikon's lenses have an AF motor built into them nowadays. Is this true? Would not having an internal motor be a deal breaker for you?

Actually, that's the only question I can remember at this point. I went into the stores thinking that I'd like the Canons more (My family members all use Canon P&S), but I THINK I liked the feel of the Nikons a tiny bit more; It's not enough to make a difference between choosing.

For a COMPLETE beginner to the SLR world, what would you recommend? My intentions are to use the camera for a variety of things:
Sports
Portraits
Model photography
Candids (quick moving)

I'd also like video. It isn't a complete necessity, but it'd definitely be a bonus for those random moments; I now I use the video on my P&S quite a bit. Again, the XSI's lack of video is not enough to remove it from my options, alone.

One last thing.. I'm planning on keeping the body (and of course the system/lenses) for years. Would you recommend that I just save up and get a D90 or T1i, or spend a little less, sooner for the D5000 or XSI? Oh, and if it matters, I'm planning on using the Kit lens (or whatever lens is provided with the camera, unless I find a good deal for body-only) for at least a few months to learn the ins and outs of photography.

Thank you so much for reading this far! I feel like I'm just blabbering, but my brain is completely overloaded right now.

PS: I do plan on, eventually, making a little money on the side through photographing events and what not. I would like a camera that would be capable of handling things like that without any problems. Thanks again!

Guest Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 19:39 | Message # 2

It's easy to get burned out when researching a new camera, and especially one's first d-slr. I think the D5000 has a slight edge in the degree of features over the XSi, mainly because it's a newer model, and it slots in a little bit above the XSi, which is a true entry-level model, while the D5000 is above the D60, Nikon's older entry level, and also above the 3000, the new D60 replacement. The D5000 is slotted right below the D90, but has some more-advanced features like the 11-point AF system, and video shooting capability, plus the articulated LCD screen.

Whichever camera you like better is the one you ought to purchase. Fit and feel counts for quite a lot. There are plenty of affordable lenses with in-lens focusing motors from Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, and Nikon has an excellent flash system.

I wouldn't worry too much about the selection of a camera--it's not life or death, and whatever you buy you can learn to use with a bit of effort. Both the Rebel line and the entry-model NIkons have what is known as "one button" control, which isn't as easy or versatile as the dual-controls that the D90 and the 40D-50D Canon's have; "dual" meaning a dedicated,separate control for aperture and one for shutter speed adjustment.

Guest Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 19:39 | Message # 3

Thank you so much for the quick response! The main thing holding me back from the Nikon was the lack of internal focus, but I took a look at the Nikon lenses and it seems that almost all of them are AF. That means they have the auto focus "motor" built in, correct?

Also, would it be worth it to "upgrade" to a D90 over a D5000 for a beginner? I'd like to have a DSLR with as many features as possible without being overwhelming, for me to resist having to buy a new camera for as long as possible!

Could someone also elaborate on the one-button vs dual controls? Does it make life that much more difficult?

UUill Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 19:40 | Message # 4

Dual button control is 2 dials that controls Shutter speed on one and Aperture on the other (assuming your on manual)

I disagree with Derrel about the D5000 being newer therefore better.
Newer is not better!!!

I still need an AF lens on my XSI so there is not much worries with not having an internal Focus motor (with the exception to not being able to use older lens' Which IMO IS a LARGE deal breaker.)

I would base your purchase on lens prices, Choose whichever brand has the cheaper (in cost, not quality) lenses
However Canon and nikon are pretty much the exact same price.

You say you want to keep it for years?
Better go with canon , Nikons have a tendancy to fail from what I hear.
- Jokes aside (although I have heard more complaints about Nikon breaking than canon...)
I would recommend you look into the Semi-Pro Canon bodies E.g. the Canon 20D
you can grab a body for £200 - £300
Even the 40D you can get some for about £600

You may find, For your area of photography you will want:
70-300mm
85mm
35 / 50 mm (either will do but best go with the 35mm)
I dont put brands in specifically for you to choose which brand the lens should be with.

With Both canon and nikon lens' about 1/3 the money is for the name
Tamron and sigma make some really good lens' worth looking into (and they make mounts for canon and nikon.)

Forum » Art Discussion » Photography » First DSLR - Burned out on research! Lots of info..
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Hosted by uCoz