ART LIBERTY
           Galleries & Community for creative and Independent authors

Guest| Group "Guests"| My profile | Registration Welcome Guest    

News | EventsGallery | Video | Music | Articles | Tutorials | Forum | Links | FAQ | Info | Job's       Members | Join | Submit

[ Main · New messages  · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Admin  
Forum » Art Discussion » 3D Digital Art » Maya vs 3ds Max
Maya vs 3ds Max
Harder Date: Sunday, 08.03.2009, 00:52 | Message # 1
Independent Artist
hello, folks!

As I get more and more involved in video production, it seems the more and more I need to buy...lol. But one thing I haven't tackled yet is 3D modeling and animation.

I am very interested in doing some 3D animations much like Perry Jenkin's DJTV Intro utilizing the animated 3D barndoor light, revolving director's chair and the slapping "take 5" thingy (haha.. I guess you will all be laughing cause I don't know what that thing is called.)

I remember reading one of the DJ staffers posts saying they use 3ds Max to do 3D modeling/animations, however in some minor research, it seems that the general consensus is that Maya (specifically Maya Unlimited) is the preferred application. Is this true? I'm not interested in game development, nor do I need to make Toy Story 3, but for doing stuff like Perry's Intro Animation... I want to make sure I spend the $$$ on the right app.

So, here I am yet again to ask for any opinions you may have on either of these applications for video use. Any preferences for one application over the other? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Price really isn't an issue on this front because luckily I can get both with Academic Pricing.. and FYI... I use all Adobe Products ie. Premiere Pro 2.0, After Effects 7, etc.

Thanks a ton. You guys have helped me so much and I'm learning a ton. Hopefully very soon I can start giving back. smile

I recently purchased an ETK, some JumpBacks and BackTraxx and am having one heck of a fun time playing around with them. Soon I'll let you guys see my creations!

Fortunate Date: Sunday, 08.03.2009, 00:54 | Message # 2
Independent Artist
They both have a TREMENDOUS learning curve. 3DSM is probably the easier to grasp of the two. Maya is just NUTS! There are several other 3D apps out there that might fit the bill, and would be considerably cheaper, with the same capabilities:

Cinema 4D
Lightwave

Just another .02 cents, food for thought.

I can't speak too much on ANY of the above as I'm still learning myself.

Forum » Art Discussion » 3D Digital Art » Maya vs 3ds Max
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Hosted by uCoz