ART LIBERTY
           Galleries & Community for creative and Independent authors

Guest| Group "Guests"| My profile | Registration Welcome Guest    

News | EventsGallery | Video | Music | Articles | Tutorials | Forum | Links | FAQ | Info | Job's       Members | Join | Submit

[ Main · New messages  · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Admin  
Forum » Art Discussion » General Discussion » switch from compositing to 3d?
switch from compositing to 3d?
CGwarrior Date: Thursday, 05.02.2009, 18:36 | Message # 1
Independent Artist
Hi there,

In regards to the VFX industry, has anyone out there switched from being compositor for few years or so then became a 3d artist? Did you have to start off as a 3d junior or can you show them a nice intermediate 3d reel and you can bypass the junior level?

Thanks for the advice

Markus Date: Thursday, 05.02.2009, 18:40 | Message # 2
Independent Artist
You have to be able to pull off a better-than-junior's work in a faster-than-junior's time.
So don't try and do it in one go-ease yourself into simple tasks fist.

Heck-many highend studio's (Shrek comes to mind) like the lighting and FX artists to do their own comp. So maybe thats an option/direction for you too? (both 2d and 3d work).

Double Date: Thursday, 05.02.2009, 18:43 | Message # 3
Independent Artist
I am kind of in a similar situation, but have the advantage that I studied 3D but gravitated towards compositing. However, I studied max and am moving over to maya. It is definitely quicker for me to pick it up though as I have a pretty solid understanding of the concepts and techniques.

Also, being a comper, you would have some knowledge of the pipeline and what kind of things you might need to know. As was mentioned above, especially on CG animated films, lighting and comp seem to go together a lot of the time. That is, a lighter will comp his shots, so if you can show you are a decent lighter and can comp and paintfix your own stuff to a high level, you will certainly be more employable.

Annet Date: Saturday, 08.08.2009, 17:42 | Message # 4
Free Artist
I think its good way for you!

Forum » Art Discussion » General Discussion » switch from compositing to 3d?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Hosted by uCoz