ART LIBERTY
           Galleries & Community for creative and Independent authors

Guest| Group "Guests"| My profile | Registration Welcome Guest    

News | EventsGallery | Video | Music | Articles | Tutorials | Forum | Links | FAQ | Info | Job's       Members | Join | Submit

[ Main · New messages  · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Admin  
Forum » Art Discussion » 3D Digital Art » Different GI Solutions relate in different Render Engines
Different GI Solutions relate in different Render Engines
vidhill Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 18:52 | Message # 1

I'm currently learning about GI and Final Gathering using Mental Ray and I'm wondering how do the different GI Solutions relate in different Render Engines

In essence, what could mental ray's GI could also be called, say in another render engine...
in VRay would it be a similar principle to what? Brute Force?

And not just the Mental ray GI,

could Mental Ray's Irradiance Particles be said to use the same principle as VRay's 'Irradiance Map' and so on and so forth..

Or is there any useful relations to be made to the solutions other engines use at all?

noouch Date: Tuesday, 20.10.2009, 18:52 | Message # 2

Coming from V-Ray and having a bit of experience with MR:

Final Gather and Irradiance Particles can both be likened to Irradiance map with Brute Force for secondary bounces.

I don't think MR has an equivalent to plain old Brute Force. The closest would be oversampled FG. The old Mental Ray GI could be likened to photon mapping I think.

Then there's light cache in V-Ray, which can be imitated to some extent using the mia path material in mental ray.

Lots of other render engines have some of the same GI methods.

Forum » Art Discussion » 3D Digital Art » Different GI Solutions relate in different Render Engines
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Hosted by uCoz